Friday, March 21, 2008

What Great Coaches Do


When the doors of the Kentucky locker room opened, there were Joe Crawford and Billy Gillispie locked in a bearhug.
"I thought he hated me," Crawford said near the end of the regular season, and when asked why he felt that way, he added, "Because he told me."
"That locker room is devastated and it should be," Gillispie said. "We came here with the intent of winning, like everyone else does."
"I'm kind of down right now," said Crawford once he had reached the interview room for the post-game news conference. "But, overall, I'm proud of what we did as a team through the season." And now, parting is such sweet sorrow.
"He's done more for me than a lot of people in my life," Crawford said. "He changed the outlook everyone had on me. He changed me as a person. He got me believing. He's done so much for me and I love him for that. I don't know how I could repay him, ever." By the way - Crawford scored 35 in his last game as a Wildcat.

3 comments:

Chris Goeppner said...

my canes won! brin on texas

J Dub said...

What a great quote by Joe. I never thought I'd see Joe Crawford cry after a loss. To see him completely buy into Billy's system says a lot about him, but it probably says even more about Billy.

The future is bright.

EJ Chang said...

this makes me want to cry.