Thursday, March 27, 2008

Before There Was "Be Like Mike" There Was "The Pistol"


Shortly before he died in 1988 at age 40 while playing basketball with Dr. James Dobson, Maravich sent a Bible to talk show host Larry King. Inside the Bible was this hand-written letter:
Dear Larry,
I'm so glad to hear that everything went well with your surgery. I want you to know that God was watching over you every minute and even though I know you question that, I also know that one day it will be revealed to you. My prayer is that you remain open and God will touch your life as He has mine. Once I was a disbeliever. When I could not fill my life with basketball, I would simply substitute sex, liquid drugs, or material things to feed my internal shell-like appearance. I was never satisfied. I have finally realized, after 40 years, that Jesus Christ is in me. He will reveal His truth to you, Larry, because He lives.
-Pistol Pete

STORY

2 comments:

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

An amazing player and an amazing man. I remember watching him in total awe when he was at LSU - the epitome of "hot dog". He was like the Muhummad Ali of college basketball - float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. In the pros, he was constantly in the highlight videos. On your video, I think the only dunk he made was in warmups. I didn't know about his acceptance of Jesus. That's cool.

EJ Chang said...

Wow, that's the first footage I'v ever seen of him. He's always been this mystery great player of the past to me. He was awesome! His moves were sick! Players like that don't come around very often.