Tuesday, March 04, 2008

In The Face Of Adversity...


Adversity leads to choice. How will we respond when it comes? Adversity is the presence of difficulties or misfortunes. It will come. Obviously, we don't know when. That's what makes it so difficult to predict how we will react. Adversity often ambushes us. Our initial reaction is shock. When I have faced adversity, my mind immediately goes to worst case scenario. Now that adversity is here, if it progressed to it's worst possible place; could I handle it? When I decide that "yes I can handle the worst case scenario" I can begin to move forward. It's takes inner strength to handle adversity. One inner voice is telling us to lay down in a fetal position and give up. The other one is telling us "you can do it." If we trust God, if we surrender to God, that inner voice telling us you can do it becomes "with Me you can do it." I like the sound of that much better. "With Me." I could say "I don't need You." That sounds macho but it isn't. It's prideful. It takes strength to say "I need You." THAT'S why I am proud of my brother Rick. I have always been proud of him. Graduates of military academies hold a special place of admiration for me. People who rise to the top of their vocation are to be admired for their efforts. But I have never been prouder than to see how Rick has faced his adversity. Divorce is ugly. That's why God says He hates it. Rick didn't ask for it. He was ambushed. His efforts toward restoration were rejected. But that's OK because Rick laid down his pride and surrendered to God which opened the door for God to come along side and say "with Me." It's the surrender that triggers a new beginning "with Him." And "with Him" is so much better than the alternative. Rick will be the first person to tell you how in many ways, his life has changed for the better in the past months despite adversity. He has said his adversity has become his blessing. He's faced it and with God he has stared it down.

7 comments:

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

It's a bit difficult to type with blurred vision, but I'll do my best. First of all, I love the photo and what it represents. There have been times when I was convinced the light at the end of the tunnel was a freight train. The wisdom in your words describing adversity is awesome, right on. One thing I've learned is that "staring down adversity" is ongoing and ever present for me at this point in my life. That's why I need my Good Friend, Jesus, by my side constantly. The best advice I've received throughout this "process" came from you, "Rick, just try to do the right thing." And that's what I've tried to do since "day one". Thank you, Mikey

Anonymous said...

Very well said. James 1:2 - "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, WHEN you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance and perseverance, when it has finished its work, makes you mature and complete lacking in nothing."

Lyndsey said...

Right on. We just talked about pride in our group tonight... pretty much exactly what you said. Whenever we think we can do it on our own, it's pride. But how much easier it is when we just give it to God. Uncle Rick has definitely been an inspiration and encouragement to me.

Mike West said...

Is Northwest/Delta aware of this blurred vision you speak of?

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

No problem. It's "correctable".

J Dub said...

Well said. It's dangerous to let circumstances dictate your outlook on life...even your mood at any given point. Crap happens. It's how you deal with it that matters. And we were never meant to do it on our own. God made us with that hole in our hearts so that we would seek out the help of others, and most importantly, Him.

twest said...

As you know (or maybe not) Care overcame extreme adversity with faith and prayer. Miracles do happen. God Bless all of you