Sunday, March 02, 2008

A Big Baby?


I was listening to the post game radio show in the garage with the garage door open enjoying our first half way decent day of the month (Partly sunny and 50) while Mary is in the yard playing with Gracie. (Spring is in the air) I heard Coach Billy G. choke up while he was talking about today's 63-60 loss at TN. We were in it right up to the last 2 shots of the game when we missed 2 three point attempts. Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks are injured and on the bench and Joe Crawford has been sitting most of the game in foul trouble. The coach is talking about no excuses for the loss but how proud he is of this team and you can tell on the radio that he becomes emotional as his voice cracks. What would make him become so emotional? I think it's a combination of seeing how hard these guys have worked, how they have actually listened to him and his basketball knowledge and his wisdom about how to live life as a family. I think he is still humbled by his position as he realizes he is actually the head coach at the school with the most wins in NCAA history. I think he's in awe every time he walks out onto the floor at Rupp Arena. I have seen every coach that KY has had. I remember seeing coach Rupp as a kid. I remember seeing national championships by Joe B. Hall and Rick Pitino. I am as proud of this coach and what he has accomplished this year as any of the coaches who have gone before him. He's a winner and he will put a championship banner in Rupp. It's just a matter of time.

2 comments:

J Dub said...

Great post. Billy's going to be great before he's done. I wouldn't want any other coach.o

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

A great coach, a great team, and a great game. Hanging out in the garage, playing in the yard? What's that all about? It's 8 degrees here! (Sunny, though)