Saturday, March 29, 2008

Tough Game For A KY Fan


I have to come clean on this one. I'm pulling for Louisville today and here's why. This week I recorded and watched "Beyond the Glory" the KY-Duke game from 16 years ago. We all know what happened. Feldhaus, Farmer, Woods, Pelphrey, and Mashburn along with Coach Pitino are interviewed and the KY segments of the documentary are narrated by Ashley Judd. Basically, it's a wonderful story of the passion of KY Basketball and how Pitino came in and resurrected KY basketball after Eddie Sutton had run the program into the ditch. We ended up on probation with no post season play or TV coverage in 1989-90. People wondered if KY basketball would ever be the same. You could say I'm giving Pitino too much credit but I believe there aren't many coaches who could do what he did at the time. He revitalized the program and convinced mediocre players (except Mashburn) that they could do more than they thought they could. He did a masterful job of coaching in 1992. Something that I personally will always be thankful for. In 1992, Duke had not been challenged all season long. They were a huge favorite to win it all. Ky almost shocked the world. Almost. It is still amazing how KY fans still love that team despite the loss to Duke. Their jerseys hang in Rupp Arena because of the love for that team. The "Unforgettables" played an unforgettable game. I still remember where I was when Laettner hit the shot and I still remember the feeling. I also remember what Pitino did for the program. Yes, I remember his lies when he left for the Celtics and then how he did the unforgivable when he returned to college basketball and took the job at Louisville. But today I pull for Louisville and that's not easy.
"I'd just as soon freeze to death." - Actress Ashley Judd relating a story of being offered a University North Carolina - Chapel Hill jacket on a chilly movie set.

4 comments:

J Dub said...

First, the Louisville-Tennessee game. Now this.

Perhaps the roof would collapse.

That would be best.

J Dub said...

And I gotta pull for Carolina here. You just DON'T pull for Louisville (Loserville). You don't.

Just as long as UNC doesn't win it all.

Anonymous said...

I'm boycotting the Tourney. boo.

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Hansbrough's the man. What a game he played! I thought about rooting for Louisville also, but I just couldn't. They were a "lower seed". And you know how I feel about "lower seeds".