Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Political Speak Flags


In almost every interview, politicians and talking heads use the same deflective cliché's and as soon as I hear them I pretty much throw a flag in my mind and tune them out. Here's a few off the top of my head. "Look." This one is code for "I'm not answering your question because I would have to say something negative about the candidate I'm supporting." "At the end of the day." Please don't tell me about the end of the day because your day and my day are very different. "Look, you and I both know." Please don't tell me what I know and don't know; I don't even know what I know and don't know. I'll add more when I hear them.

3 comments:

twest said...

"The fact of the matter is....."

Mike West said...

Yes Ted, very good! "The fact of the matter" actually means: "Your question was a stupid one because you're too stupid to understand the issue at hand."

Lyndsey said...

I tried really hard to think of one but I couldn't :(