Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hollywood


Watching the actors and actresses in Hollywood react to the Sarah Palin nomination has been interesting to me. I think it shines a light on their fears. It appears to me they strongly dislike anyone who boldly claims a relationship with God as their foundation. Why? I think I have a clue. I believe deep down, everyone believes in God but they don't want to admit it. I believe deep down they are afraid that if they admit that there is a God who created this magnificent world and all it's creatures, then they would need to learn more about Him. If they learn more about Him, then they are afraid they would have to make changes in their lifestyle and that could threaten their standard of living; a living built in many cases, on the vices of the world that drag us down. So they conclude, "if I deny God and if i live by my own standards, I won't have to change anything and everyone will continue to worship me because I'm from Hollywood." I actually kind of understand that fear of knowing God. Politics for much of Hollywood is elevated to an extreme place of importance because in their mind, the buck stops with politics, not God. I actually kind of get where they're coming from because I felt the same fears they did for many years. The difference is; a life change for them is a major deal if they think they have to give up all their stuff and all the stuff they do. For me, a lifestyle change didn't mean giving up a bunch of stuff because I didn't have a bunch of stuff, but I did think it would mean no more fun because I viewed God as a cosmic kill-joy. But a life change for me gave me hope and meaning in life. When I see Matt Damon, Whoopi Goldberg, Chevy Chase, and what seemingly seems to be all of Hollywood and the liberal media detest Palin and all she believes in....I feel kind of sorry for them because deep down, I think I know just a little bit of what they fear.

3 comments:

Lyndsey said...

That was a great reminder of grace Dad... thanks

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

In one 24 hour period a little over a year ago, I lost all of my "stuff" - the physical "stuff" of my home and the emotional "stuff" of my family. And I survived. Today, I like the person I am better than the person I was. And so does my son. In some ways, I feel very fortunate. It was a journey I was going to have to take someday. God decided to get it over with. And I came to Him on my knees.

I think that's what the celebs are afraid of - that day they know is coming. Everything we have is from God's Rental and it's all gotta go back someday. I think as long as we realize that, God wants us to enjoy the blessings he's given us. Take it for granted or take credit for it, "poof!", it can be gone in a nanosecond.

EJ Chang said...

Great post!