Sunday, February 24, 2008

As I Was Cheering - The Screen Went Blank!


As the clock ticked away in the final minute of Saturday's game between Kentucky and Arkansas, something happened ... at least for TV viewers in this region. With less than 50 seconds to play, the screen went black as coverage switched to the start of the St. John's-Duke game. In a matter of seconds, viewers hammered WKYT-27 -- the local CBS affiliate -- with hundreds of phone calls, General Manager Wayne Martin said. Martin said his staff immediately called CBS in New York, where workers were able to get the UK game back on with 14 seconds to go, allowing fans to watch Kentucky pull out a 63-58 victory. Viewers in Alabama, Tennessee and Florida said they experienced the same thing. Shane Kosky, originally from Lexington, but now living in Tampa, Fla., said he saw the black screen and assumed the problem might have been weather-related. "But then the Duke game came on," he said. "Of all the games ... the Duke game? That's like salt in the wounds. That's like insult to injury." Martin, who said WKYT apologizes for the mistake, said the swap was "a CBS switching error out of New York." I quickly called Lyndsey and she couldn't believe it either. I was listening to the radio broadcast that I sync up with the TV broadcast so I held my cell phone to the speakers so Lyndsey could hear the radio broadcast. How's that for quick thinking? But she couldn't hear that well so I hung up. I then received a text message from her asking "why did you abandon me?" I felt so guilty I called her right back and by that time, the broadcast was back so we were able to watch the Cats win another one. The 36 seconds of confusion we experienced was quite unsettling.

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I still can't believe it... of all the fans you don't want to mess with, they decide to turn off the kentucky game. Not a good move.

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Clay and I had no problem watching the game in the frozen tundra. That's because "they" knew Tubby was watching and in Minnesota, he rules. ;-)

Mike West said...

The local CBS affiliate during the weather forecast this morning, abruptly switched over to the Duke game as a joke while the weather guy was talking about upcoming snow accumulation. It was actually pretty funny.

Lyndsey said...

Haha.. only in Kentucky. That is hilarious.