Monday, February 25, 2008

A Must See - Inside The Vietnam War


I recorded the documentary from the National Geographic Channel and finally watched it. I don't know if they plan on airing it again or not. It's the first time I have ever heard Vietnam Vets talk in depth about the war. The footage was incredible and gave me very good insight into what has to be the most confusing war ever. It was sad to hear these vets talk about being defeated. They had everything it took to win except the back bone of our nation's leaders. I'll always remember seeing the Vietnam Memorial in Washington about 10 years ago. Now however, it has even more meaning. Although I grew up with the war going on, I never fully understood the dynamics. I just remember the body counts during the evening news and the images on the news that made the USA appear to be the bad guy. It looks very similar to what we see from the media today. The difference now is we have a President with a backbone.

1 comment:

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Graduating from high school in 1969, Vietnam and the draft were major factors in my life decisions. Coupled with my desire to fly and the fact that in our family, the men of every generation I was familiar with had served their country, I decided to apply to the United States Air Force Academy. I was not prepared for the way those of us in the military were treated by the society we were sworn to protect. As cadets at the United States Air Force Academy we were advised not to go into Colorado Springs alone and specifically to avoid the Colorado College campus. We would play the University of Colorado in several different sports and most often get beat. But we would always win the fight in the parking lot afterwards. My class ('73) was the first class at USAFA that did not serve in Vietnam, but we spent 4 years preparing to do so, while everyday hearing about alumni who were either killed in action or missing in action. It was a sad time in our history. I am proud of my service to my country, especially during those turbulent times.