Monday, February 18, 2008

Interviews I Hate To Watch


This morning I watched Meredith Vieira of the Today Show interview the parents of one of the students killed at Northern Illinois University. I hate to watch these type of interviews and they do it all the time, usually when the families are still in shock from losing a child or loved one. The questioning this morning I thought was more distasteful than usual. I am paraphrasing how the interview went but it was something like this. "So the coroner's report regarding the death of your daughter states that the first shot she took to the head more than likely killed her, so she probably didn't experience much pain. Do you find comfort in the fact that she probably didn't experience much pain before she died?" Are you kidding me? It reminded me of a vulture standing over a wounded animal waiting to pick the bones. I don't fully understand either why these families accept these interview invitations. I think we're all becoming so numb to seeing horrific tragedies and the stupid interviews that follow them, that some people see the interviews as some sort of sick civic duty. I just wish the media would leave the families alone until they're actually ready to talk. I talked with people in Blacksburg after the VA Tech tragedy who knew people who refused to talk with the media and they actually asked them to go away and leave them alone but of course they didn't and they won't so I'm sure I'll be subjected to these type of interviews in the future, at least until I can find the remote.

2 comments:

twest said...

Man do I agree! Saw that and the interview by Matt Lauer with the father of the "found" baby. He just buried his wife - leave him alone! The remote studio the Today show set up at Va Tech was just as bad. How bout Ann Curry's interview with Benizir Bhutto after the first attack which killed 200 people - asking her why she returned to Pakistan and didn't she feel responsible for the deaths!

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

I NEVER watch the Today Show. It is not a good way to start the day. I can't watch those type of interviews. That's what remotes were invented for.