Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Buddy Bobber...


I received a phone call late Sunday night from my old friend Bobby Knight. "Mike, I'm thinking about retiring." I couldn't believe my ears. Bobby and I have known each other since I met him in the press box at the Indiana - KY football game in the early 90's. We met briefly but I'll never forget what he told me. "No you don't....you don't hate interrupting my lunch or you wouldn't have." We have remained close since then so I wasn't surprised when he called me on my cell Sunday evening. I listened to him pour his heart out to me for over an hour and when he finally stopped sobbing, I simply said "Bobber (My nickname for him because he loves fishing) Bobber, you just have to do it your way." He thanked me and hung up. It was tough for him. He wears his emotions on his sleeve ya know. I heard on TV Monday he had resigned and read about it in the paper this morning. Good luck Bobber. And remember, I'm here for ya man.

4 comments:

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

I'm hurt. After he hugged me on the airplane that time, I thought the Bobster and I had that special relationship. Oh well, I'm glad YOU are there for him. It's the end of an era.

twest said...

Don't you think you should have advised him to finish the season? But, then, you do know him better than I. I somehow never pictured him going to Texas in the first place - those boys seem like they would throw chairs back at him...

Mike West said...

Actually, I couldn't believe he posed for the picture. I was scared to death. There were chairs in the room.

Lyndsey said...

I think this is my favorite post yet. Loved it!