Saturday, December 15, 2007

We Lost Again...Why? Lack of Effort. UAB 79 -UK- 76


I knew we didn't have the talent. Why? Because Tubby left the cupboard bare...he didn't recruit worth a darn the last 5 years. The fans knew it. I thought however, we could make up the difference from a lack of talent this year with effort, because Billy Gillispie is known for getting the best of his players. The truth is - I'm not seeing the effort. That in my book is due to a lack of motivation and motivation comes from the coach, so you draw the conclusion. Maybe you can't motivate players you don't recruit; I don't know. We have 2 key players injured and another huge recruit who transferred out and those are legitimate excuses but...we have now lost to - Gardner Webb and University of Alabama / Birmingham, along with blowouts to North Carolina and Indiana. I'm just looking for effort and I'm not seeing it and that is discouraging.

7 comments:

twest said...

Sorry - I must have had something to do with this loss (collapse). I came home, saw the game on with not a lot of time left and KY with a 14 pt lead and the announcers telling how tight and smooth and in control KY looked today...I missed that part

J Dub said...

We lost because Vaden played out of his mind, and we gave up too many easy shots late in the game. We lost because we don't have senior leadership. We lost because two of our starters are on the bench.

Questioning Billy's motivation skills after 8 games is a little silly, especially after you look at his turnarounds at UTEP and A&M. UTEP went 6-24 his first year. 24-8 the next year, with a tournament bid.

In his first year at Texas A&M, Billy coached them to 14-game improvement over their previous season. His last season at A&M, they finished the year ranked #6 and #7 in the polls and one point away from the Elite Eight.

Honestly, I think a lot of the problems come from the attitudes and basketball intelligence of the seniors, Bradley and Crawford. With them graduating, I really think it'll be addition by subtraction. Let Billy get his guys in here.

Give him time. I don't think he forgot how to coach within a few months. The success that Kentucky fans are used to may come as early as next year.

Mike West said...

bla bla bla...lack of effort = lack of motivation - lack of motivation = lack of coaching. Even a coach has a bad game now and then. I'm giving him time....as I said, I'm looking for effort.

J Dub said...

Agree to disagree. The effort was there today. Unfortunately, UAB had more talent on the floor than Kentucky.

twest said...

Boys, boys, boys - it's the Christmas season....

Mike West said...

LOL - it's your fault Ted - as you mentioned in your first comment.

twest said...

Not only that but I switched over to football and saw Valdosta State beat NW Missouri State with 20 seconds left. It was apparently NWMizz 3rd straight year in championship game only to lose each time. I'm not a big follower of NW Mizz St but I somehow feel I should issue them an apology as well...I missed FL game but understand Ga Southern had them on the ropes till the end. I expect a letter of thanks from Gator fans...