Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Racist and Offensive Christmas Card?


We received a Christmas card from a relative in Ohio (I feel almost positively certain they will never see my blog) who said on the card "glad you are back to Hillbilly country." What is it that makes people do that? It is a derogatory statement that seems to flow freely from some people's mouths who think nothing about the offensive overtones. I'm thinking seriously about asking the government for some kind of restitution. How do you think this would make my ancestors feel? I am getting quite tired of the profiling and the stereotyping by some who apparently have no concern for the feelings of others. Hillbilly? Why...I tell you what...I ain't gonna put up with it no more. Dadgum it...it's really startin to get my goat! I got me half a mind to load me up some buckeyes in the pick up and pay me a visit to Ohio and start throwing buckeyes through some winders. Ya'll with me? Best I can tell theres Hillbillys everwear, not just in Kintucky. Reckon?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they get that impression from my family...they live in berea. i have an uncle eddie and he came to my high school graduation in jean shorts and a nascar t-shirt. i think it's all dependent on where you live in kentucky.

J Dub said...

South Carolina Federal...

Chris Goeppner said...

im not proud of my kentucky roots. every time someone finds out i was born there a remark about being inbred or hick or redneck is made. i'd rather not go there.

:)

Mike West said...

Oh Chris....you have much to learn. Sounds like you could use some counseling to proudly accept your roots. When you tell someone you're from KY and they try to insult you, ask them if they have ever been to KY. 99.9% of the time, the insults come from someone who has never been here. So you nicely reply "then you really don't know what you're missing do you?" Or you can try to sue for defamation of character or racism - which ever works best for you.

twest said...

Kintucky?! You boys's roots go all the way back to West-by God-Virginny, and don't you forgit it! Proud of our Hillbilly roots, they run deep in them thar hills. We may be scattered but we know where we're from. Jes cause you moved "up" in status to KY...

Mike West said...

You are absolutely correct Ted...I am proud to say I am from West Virginia originally but grew up in KY. I should have pointed that out. Thank you for doing that. I'm glad you're not a racist.

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Ted is absolutely, positively, correct! I'm a pure bred Mountaineer through and through. I lived in Kentucky a grand total of 18 months. However, having said that, my family IS from Kentucky and I do love the Lexington area. I'll never forget singing "The West Virginia Hills" when we would cross the VA/W.VA border driving back from Florida.