Saturday, January 19, 2008

Caution: Graphic Photo



You asked so here's a photo of the knee after the operation and a photo of my first excursion on it as I leisurely stroll down the hall with a physical therapist. Thank you for your prayers and support! A special thanks however to Mary, my wonderful nurse! Between taking care of me, dispensing my 17 + pills per day and chasing down Gracie, she has her hands full. Hopefully my nursing needs will be tapering off quickly in the next couple of weeks. It felt good to get a shower yesterday evening and sleep in my own bed. It's still tricky finding just that right comfortable position, but it's coming. I was able to put some weight on it this morning and came down the 16 stairs from our bedroom with 1 crutch while holding on to the handrail. I keep getting flashbacks to when my knee problems first started 34 years ago. I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence either that my doctor was the type who prayed with Mary and I prior to surgery and the anesthesiologist is a guy in my BSF class. Out patient physical therapy begins next week. Mary finally found a pt office that accepts evening appointments so she can take me after she gets off work 3 times per week for the next few weeks. We're on our way! I think this is one of those periods in a marriage where the "for better or worse" part of the vows kicks in.

9 comments:

Lyndsey said...

It's good to have you back in the blogging world. Thanks for the pictures! Your knee is very fat.

You definitely have the best nurse... she nursed me back to health every time I was sick for 20 years of my life!

Physical therapy will have you back up in no time once they really start working that knee. I love you so much and can't wait till this part is over for you.

Chris Goeppner said...

wow! that is amazing . im praying for a tremendous healing so you can walk with mary pain-free. congratulations!

twest said...

You're a blessed man

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Lyndsey's right - fat knee. I especially like the outfit with the web belt. Very macho. I think the part of the marriage vows you were alluding to was "in sickness and health". Here's hoping you go from "worse" to "better" in no time.

Mike West said...

yes...I meant in sickness and in health...it's been almost 30 years you know.

Anonymous said...

Mike, I'm very proud of your new knee. But, seeing yu show your knee off, made me think of Dad and his showing off the scar on his knee.

Do you think that puts you closer to wearing a powder blue leisure suit? That's a spooky thought.

Take care. Love, Kay

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Uh, I wouldn't know . . . ;-) Welcome, Kay!

Bryonm said...

you're like steve austin...

Anonymous said...

I hope you are making a speedy recovery!!