Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thanks for the gift card but...


We were thankful for the gift card. (Isn't it cool how the gift cards keep up with how much you spend...even that blows us away) But if you really need a hot dessert in a cup, I think you can find just about the same stuff at locally owned coffee shops for less $. The product is just not that superior. Mary and I have tried to like Starbucks. The reason we tried to like it kinda bothers me though. Is it a need to fit in and be hip? We were there last night around 7pm (Did I mention we were using a gift card?) and there was a line 12 deep "waiting" to spend too much money on a mediocre product. Why? Another thing that kind of weirded me out was it seemed like most everyone looked and dressed alike and seemed to have the same puzzled look on their faces. Every time we have gone there, we drive away asking "Why did we just spend that much $ on a mediocre product?" We asked the same question last night and it was a gift card! I'm usually a little late to the "latest trend party" but I must admit, I think this is one party we're not going to anymore; unless we get a gift card. Oh yeah, they didn't even ask me my name to write on the cup. I couldn't wait to hear them yell "Homer! Homer! Cinnamon latte for Homer." A cup of coffee in a booth at Perkins Pancake House I think will work just fine not to mention that we can buy the Lumberjack breakfast for the same $ as 1 cup of mediocrity at Starbucks.

5 comments:

Alice the Brit said...

LOL - loved the Homer comment (especially as my 18 yr old son's online monniker is Homer89) !!

I am *SO* with you on the Starbucks thing though, I will NOT spend my own money on it!! Gift cards, yes, cos let's face it, I'll just about drink or eat anything that's essentially free! or someone else buying, then yes I will. (I like the Caramel Macchiato, which really is dessert!)

Given my druthers and MY money being spent, well #1 choice is the genuine Costa Rica coffee we brought back and we brew at home, but #2 would be Dunkin Donuts coffee all the way - I prefer the taste to SB anyday!

J Dub said...

Jim Bob was the best fake Starbuck's name. Hard to top that one.

http://jmikewest.blogspot.com/2006/12/grande-gingerbread-latte-for-jim-bob.html

Lyndsey said...

Umm... I'm pretty sure that gift card was from me. Crap.

Mike West said...

Oops... I was thinking the gift card was from Mom's boss and I figured he would never read this blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Starbucks is MY LIFE!!!!! AND DON'T YOU EVER DEMEAN IT AGAIN!!!! I need an American cafe and I NEED IT NOW!!!!!