Thursday, March 22, 2007

Reading...Why Don't I Do More? (Caution: Long Post)


I used to read books quite a bit and then....the internet came along.... along with blogging, political debate, religious points of view, sports updates, etc. and HD-TV with a wonderful picture and digital cable with 100 stations, and well.... It's just amazing to me how fast technology is moving. We truly live in a very interesting time in history. Justin just purchased an Apple TV (Oh yeah...I need to go pick it up because he's in special ops training in Oklahoma) That basically means he can download whatever he wants on I-Tunes and play it back on his large sceen, HD-TV. And it's wireless to boot. I'm tellin ya...this stuff wasn't around just a few short years ago and it just keeps comin. I'm not complaining, I'm just making excuses for not reading more. But when I do read, I usually find some gold. Check this out from Brian Tracy:
BRIAN (Smart, good-looking rich guy) - "There are four sources of expectations that have an impact on your life. The first is the expectations of your parents. We are all unconsciously programmed to try to live up to, or down to, the expectations that our parents expressed of us when we were growing up. The need for approval of our parents goes on even after our parents are no longer with us. If your parents expected you to do well, and confidently, positively encouraged you to do your best and be your best, this will have an enormous influence on the person you have become. If, as happens in many cases, your parents expressed negative expectations of you, or no expectations at all, you may stil be unconsciously saddled with the burden of trying not to disappoint your parents. In one study, 90 percent of prisoners interviewed by psychologists reported that they had been told over and over again by their parents when they were growing up that "Someday, you're going to end up in jail."
ME (A seeking, somewhat good-looking middle-class somewhat-redneck kinda guy) - Without going into more detail, the second source of expectations that affects your behavior is your boss and the third is is your spouse and children. Expectations.....I must admit.....can get me in trouble sometimes. They must be balanced and realistic. And, the only way to make them realistic is to have a biblical perspective. (Psalm 118:8) There...something I thought worth passing along. This age of rapid changing technology sure makes it challenging for an A.D.D. guy like me. How's that for an excuse? Now where did I put that book? Forget the book...I need to check my email....no wait....I recorded a show last night.....oops, I haven't checked my favorite blogs in a while.....

No comments: