Sunday, January 25, 2009

Meeks Leads KY To An Undefeated Record In SEC


I guarantee KY will be ranked in the top 25 this week. We are the only undefeated team left in the SEC. Meeks led KY in an ugly game with quite a bit of drama at the beginning of the second half, but we beat AL 61-51. Ramon Harris fainted in the locker room and Billy stayed with him and was late getting to the bench for the start of the second half. We're hoping and praying Harris is OK. Among active coaches, only Florida's Billy Donovan has worked in the Southeastern Conference longer than Alabama's Mark Gottfried. So what does Gottfried, who returned to his alma mater in 1998-99, think of how Kentucky guard Jodie Meeks has been playing? "I haven't seen anybody in 11 years do what he's been doing," Gottfried said. "You go back to '83 to '87 when I was playing, I'm not sure there was anybody then. And we had great players. "What impresses me is not just the scoring average, but the numbers across the board. Those percentages." In SEC play, Meeks is averaging 32 points a game. He's made 52.2 percent of his shots, including 21 of 40 (52.5 percent) of three-point attempts, plus 37 of 39 free throws (94.9 percent). "He's just emerged as one of the best players I've ever seen in this league," Gottfried said. When reminded that he'd seen plenty of SEC stars first as an Alabama guard and now as the Tide's coach, Gottfried said, "When you look at the numbers, numbers don't lie. I mean, they are what they are."

4 comments:

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Definitely. They SHOULD be in the top 20, especially with Meeks on fire like he is.

J Dub said...

You mean we are the only UNdefeated team left in the SEC.

We'll be ranked in the AP poll, but I don't know about the Coaches' poll...too much ground to make up.

Mike West said...

I got it right in the title...thanks for the correction in the article.

J Dub said...

I have become the West family blog grammar nazi.