Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cicadas Are Packing Their Bags


“The end is beginning,” says University of Kentucky entomologist Lee Townsend, adding that "in some places, it’s possible to hear birds singing again because the numbers of screeching insects are diminishing."
I personally think they sound like miniature weed-eaters. These once-every-17-year visitors that have inflicted themselves on Kentucky and parts of a dozen other states will be leaving soon. This will make Gracie sad. I bet she has eaten a bucket full. It's been fun watching her leap into the air, grab them in flight, wrestle them into her mouth, and take a big gulp. I've been waiting for her poop to start flying away. Wouldn't that be nice?

5 comments:

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

The call of the cicada brings back fond memories for me of boyhood summers in West Virginia. I hear it, I think I'm 10 again.

J Dub said...

I remember the last time they came. I was, what, oh...9 years old?

Flying poop is awesome.

twest said...

I had forgotten all about those bad boys - didn't they leave empty shells behind after hatching? I don't think they're down here (I don't know why not since we have every other insect on steroids)

Lyndsey said...

Wow what a nice mental image

kaceyleigh said...

i gotta meet this gracie.

flying poop would be pretty convenient.