Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Fan


fan [fan] –noun -
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc.: a baseball fan; a great fan of Charlie Chaplin.
[Origin: 1885–90, Americanism; short for fanatic]
—Synonyms supporter, enthusiast, partisan, booster, addict.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
(SEE PICTURE ABOVE)
A fan stays with their team through thick and thin. It's been a real roller coaster recently for us KY fans. KY Basketball - New basketball coach = extreme joy with anxiety. KY Football - we beat Louisville, Arkansas and LSU = a fanaticism like we have never experienced in football. Basketball - Big Blue Madness and a strong exhibition season = extreme level of excitement in anticipation. KY Football - a "disappointing" loss to FL as we actually had a shot of beating them. KY Basketball - the most embarrassing loss in UK basketball history as we lose to...to...to...Gardner Webb = confusion, loss of confidence and uncertainty. KY Football - terrible showing against Miss. State in a loss - good win at Vandy but another "disappointing" loss at Georgia = "which team will show up?" Both sports running like roller coasters, simultaneously, is almost more than a fan can take right? Wrong...we can take it - we're fans! I have had my doubts and not always been as supportive as I should be...but dang it! I'm a fan! a UK fan! I'm with ya Cats, through think and thin! Go Cats! I can cope (I think) bring it on!

8 comments:

J Dub said...

Great post and great picture! I feel your pain. It's been a fun football season and should be quite the interesting basketball season. I wouldn't want anyone else running the basketball team, though. Billy will get us there.

One thing's for sure, Kentucky's finding a way to get a lot of press in both sports this year. Whenever people see me, it seems they're either talking about the football team and how well they're doing, or they just want to talk about Gardner Webb.

twest said...

OK guys, I tried to be a Wildcat fan yesterday against Georgia but couldn't handle the roller coaster. Red zone screwups, missed passes in endzone (same plays that would have beat Fla). I admire your tenacity. KY/FL b-ball should be interesting with all the freshmen. Did you see the can of whoopass So Fla put on Louisville?

Mike West said...

I'm with ya on the slaughter of UL. I would have paid to see that one.

Lyndsey said...

Woohoo I am true fan!

Anonymous said...

FL didn't have the best football season ever this year, but it always helps me to think about the fact that we're in the hardest football conference in the country. It's almost impossible to come out with a no loss season in the SEC.

It could always be worse, we could be Miami fans and lose 41-0 to VA in the last game in the Orange Bowl. Staying a fan through that kind of travesty takes more courage.

m brunjes said...

did you just call the win at vandy a "good win"?

Mike West said...

Is there something about that comment you don't understand? We expect to win now. Something new for KY football.

J Dub said...

Any win in the SEC is a good win. When it's on the road, it's that much better. It's just not easy to win in the SEC, I don't care who you are or who you're playing.