Saturday, August 04, 2007

NFL Hall Of Fame Induction



I have never been a Cowboys fan and certainly not a Michael Irvin fan but tonight, I became a Michael Irvin fan. If you didn't see his speech, here's a GOOD REVIEW. It was an emotional testimony of failure and faith where I saw a remorseful and humble man admit his mistakes in front of his kids, family and millions watching. It took guts to do what he did tonight.
A few weeks after the Cowboys defeated Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XXX in 1996, police found Irvin, marijuana, cocaine and strippers in a hotel room for his 30th birthday party. He pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession and was put on probation for four years.
It was one of several run-ins with police. And Irvin wondered if he had burned his chance for making the hall.
"A few days before the vote, a current player called me and said, `They're just trying to keep you out because once you go in, the rest of us player-boys will, too,'" Irvin said. "I never thought of it like that. I hope they don't think of it like that. I'm not trying to lead the way for bad boys to get in. I'm just trying to deal with my own issues."
Tonight he convinced me that his faith in Christ has made a difference in his life and in how he is dealing with his issues.

No comments: