Sunday, December 19, 2010

Joe B. Hall Celebration

Pictured left to right - Kyle Macy (Used to do some work with him while at WVLK Radio) Jack Givens (He lived next door to me my freshman year at UK) Rick Robey (lived two doors down from me) and Larry Johnson (beat him in ping pong once)

UK recognized the career of Joe B. Hall. It's been 25 years since his retirement. Seeing photos of the more than forty former players who attended Saturday's reception sure brings back some memories. Joe B had the difficult task of following Adolph Rupp and he did it by adding another national championship in 1978. The history and the tradition of UK basketball is what makes the program so special. It was good to see UK take a timeout to recognize a coach who should be in the College Basketball Hall of Fame. Joe is the only UK coach that was born and raised in Kentucky. I had a lot of fun with him in the 90's as I impersonated him in an on-going radio bit with Jack Pattie on WVLK. Thankfully, Joe has a great sense of humor.
UK is now 8-2 and ranked at #17 with recent wins over Indiana and Miss Valley State.

4 comments:

J Dub said...

Can we expect any more reports from road trips on away games as the broadcast crew takes the RV?

Mike West said...

No more new reports but I do plan on posting some of the old bits after I convert them from cassette to a podcast.

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

I would love to hear those bits, and has Larry Johnson ever gotten over his loss to you at the pin pong table?

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

"Pin" is chinese for "ping".