Friday, October 17, 2008

Why I Have Tuned Out Election Coverage



I think it's because of my expectations. I have become increasingly irritated as Obama has climbed in the polls. I expected McCain to do better. He's had moments of greatness on the campaign but for the most part; he's a poor communicator, not real likable and he's old. There it is! The three deficiencies I mention unfortunately are what most voters are looking at too. Elections are no longer about deep felt beliefs or understanding the results of following certain types of policies and philosophies. Elections now are about voting someone off the island or off the show. Our short attention spans prohibit a very large voting block from taking the time to do the necessary research to make rational decisions when it comes to executing our most important duty as a US citizen; voting. I expect people to do their homework before they vote. I expect people to have a basic knowledge of how government works. What am I thinking? Expectations have always presented a dilemma for me. I am usually right in the middle of a funk before I realize it's cause. Add the absolute ignorance of many who vote to my political fatigue from the endless commercials and I have almost had all I can take with politics. At least Obama will look good in a presidential press conference and that's all that really matters isn't it?

3 comments:

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Hang in their buddy, it ain't over til the fat lady sings or the Supreme Court rules.

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

That's "hang in THERE"

Mike West said...

I'm sure the spelling error is due to some left over after effects from your colonoscopy. :)
Hope everything came out or went in or whatever OK.