Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Charcoal vs Gas?


I'm still a charcoal guy. I actually enjoy the process of getting the coals ready and waiting for them to get just right. Mom has grilled the last few times and I must say, she is very good at it. I'm pretty sure some hot dogs will end up on the grill this 4th of July. This is a photo of our grill; a Weber.
Of course, charcoal grills have a few drawbacks:
They're fussier and messier. (Some grill jockeys might regard this as a benefit not a disadvantage.)
They're less predictable and require more attention.
They gradually lose heat and need to be restoked every hour.
The chief drawbacks to gas grills are:
A slightly diminished flavor in the end product, for unlike charcoal, gas imparts no taste.
It's harder and in some instances impossible to smoke on a gas grill (although many new models have smoker boxes with dedicated burners, which, theoretically at least, makes this task easier).
Gas grills deprive you of the primal thrill of lighting and playing with fire And...they can explode!

4 comments:

J Dub said...

I respect you for holding out the torch for charcoal so long. I'm a gas guy, just for the ease, but food does taste a little better off a charcoal grill. Plus, I think gas might be cheaper in the long run...you have to buy new briquettes more often than you need another propane tank.

And on one of the drawbacks, who's going to be grilling for over an hour? Not me.

Regardless, props to Pops for his charcoal love. Enjoy your hot dogs as you celebrate the wonder that is America!

J Dub said...

Oh, and check this restaurant out:
http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com/index.html
It's a restaurant where they cook EVERYTHING on Weber charcoal grills, indoors. It might be worth the trip to Indy or Chicago for you...

twest said...

Charcoal man myself. Always have been. Try Royal Oak Natural Wood charcoal - it's 100% wood - no coal. (kind of a misnomer) I keep a few Coleman single burner propane tanks for hurricane season when we don't have power for several days, but gas is not for smokin ribs and pork roast.

Brodad Unkabuddy said...

Was a gas man in my previous life. Bought a little Themos grill at Target for 11.98 and a small bag of charcoal. Clay and I have cooked burgers on it and last night we cooked a couple of steaks. Best meal I've had since Easter at the Wests.