Saturday, February 03, 2007

How Would You Feel?

If I were black and there was this much hype about me being able to coach in the Super Bowl; I'm pretty sure I would be offended. It seems that part of the story line is based on the assumption that because I am black, I somehow wouldn't have the skills necessary to achieve such an accomplishment. I also think that making such a big deal over the coaches' skin color makes it more of a challenge for us to become a color blind society. I don't know much about Lovie Smith, but I think Tony Dungy is one of the classiest people in all of professional sports. (See my previous post about Mr. Dungy - dated Jan 2 2006 - see the archive section on the side bar on the right)

3 comments:

J Dub said...

Rush Limbaugh would agree with you (or maybe you agree with him).

The reason the big deal is being made is not as much about the present as it is the past in this country. Imagine this happening in the '60's. I don't think people are saying that the assumption is that blacks don't have the skills to be Super Bowl head coaches. It's more that they've overcome a historically racist society, which is a good thing, and it's a step in the right direction; a step towards when this won't matter at all.

The Rooney Rule, which says that NFL franchises must interview at least one minority candidate for an open head coaching job, smells of affirmative action. I really don't have a problem with it though, since there are no "quotas" for numbers of minority head coaches that must be employed, only that at least one minority must be considered.

Sorry to sound like a bleeding-heart liberal, but I honestly would like to see less attention paid to the race issue here. Like I said before, I think the big deal is mostly due to our history, not necessarily the way things are now (although I may be wrong). And if it's an inspiration to some young black kids to go out and try that much harder in school or sports, then more power to them.

Mike West said...

Great points. I understand the historical aspects of this but my question is "How would it make you feel?"I try to put myself in their position and I think my approach would be "What's the big deal? Blacks have always been qualified to do anything. I think that would make quite a statement coming from a Super Bowl coach. It's time for the black community to move past the past as much as possible . Too much focus on it holds them back in my opinion.

Chris Goeppner said...

dungy is black? what? i didnt hear about that! the other guy though.